Sunday, June 7, 2009

Sign of the (economic) Times


It happened. After going through our basement storage space with my wife, throwing out old papers and toys and books never read, we dug up my old piggybank.

The goal of our mission was to search through boxes and boxes of papers, which (*shocker*) ranged as far back as junior high school (yes, I am one of those). While digging through bad poetry and old postcards we stumbled upon my Robby the Rabbit piggie bank (or, shall I say, "rabbit" bank?) circa 1982.

I considered for a moment leaving it as is, dropping it back into a box not to be seen for another ten years. But, imagining (or shall I say over-imagining) the groceries we might be able to purchase, we greedily stole upstairs, and while I rummaged through papers, the wife deftly took a can opener to the top.

The result (after an 8.9% service charge from the machine) was $40.32, which was quickly spent on a bottle of wine and other assorted date-night essentials.

So thank you, grandma, grandpa, mom, dad, and various strangers who left their change on the sidewalk.

R.I.P. Robby the Rabbit.

No comments:

Post a Comment